Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Farewell Waltz - Funny, Chilling, Intense

Having read 'Unbearable Lightness of Being', and 'Immortality' before, last weekend when I saw 'Farewell Waltz' in the book store I knew what I was going to read that Saturday night and Sunday.

And Milan Kundera does not disappoint. 'Farewell Waltz', 'Unbearable Lightness of Being', and 'Immortality' are all as different from each other as they can get. Still you find the same intensity, insights into human psychology said with a wrapping of sarcastic/black humor which is Milan Kundera's trademark.

The book is an account of 5 days, set in an old-fashioned Central European spa town, in the life of a trumpeter who has just received a call from a nurse in the spa about her being pregnant from one brief encounter they had some time ago.

One thing I found it had in common with 'Immortality' is the existence of a character doing a crazy thing with utter conviction and 'justification' (read both to see what I mean and I can promise none of the two will be a let down). What they were doing and the reason behind are totally different but still it gives a sense of deja vu. I am not complaining though.

I am told that 'Life is Elsewhere' is not all that fulfilling by one of my fellow Kundera fan. But I am sure gonna read it. Anything by Kundera deserves to be read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home